Trump: Iran Did Not Agree to Inspections and May Resume Its Nuclear Program from a Different Site
Latest News

Trump: Iran Did Not Agree to Inspections and May Resume Its Nuclear Program from a Different Site

SadaNews - U.S. President Donald Trump stated that Iran did not agree to inspect its nuclear sites or abandon uranium enrichment.

He told reporters aboard Air Force One that he believes Iran's nuclear program has experienced a permanent setback, although Tehran might resume it from a different site.

Trump mentioned that he will discuss the Iran issue with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu when he visits the White House on Monday.

Trump added, while on his way to New Jersey after celebrating Independence Day at the White House, "I believe the Iranian nuclear program has faced a permanent setback... they may have to start from a different location. It will be a problem if they resume it."

He said he will not allow Tehran to resume its nuclear program, noting that Iran has expressed a desire to meet with him.

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) stated on Friday that it has withdrawn its last remaining inspectors from Iran amid a deepening crisis regarding their return to the nuclear facilities that were attacked by the United States and Israel.

The United States and Israel claim that Iran is enriching uranium to produce nuclear weapons, while Tehran emphasizes that its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes.

Three weeks ago, Israel launched a 12-day war that included attacks on Iranian nuclear sites. Since then, IAEA inspectors have been unable to inspect Iranian facilities, although IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi has stated that this is a top priority for him.

The Iranian parliament passed a law suspending cooperation with the IAEA until the safety of Tehran's nuclear facilities can be ensured. While the agency states that Iran has not officially notified it of suspending cooperation, it remains unclear when agency inspectors will be able to return to Iran.

Iran accuses the agency of effectively paving the way for attacks against it by issuing a report on May 31 condemning actions taken by Tehran, which led to a decision by the IAEA's Board of Governors, composed of 35 countries, declaring that Iran has violated its non-proliferation commitments.

U.S. and Israeli military attacks have destroyed or severely damaged the three uranium enrichment sites in Iran. However, it remains unclear what has happened to most of the nine tons of enriched uranium, especially the more than 400 kilograms of uranium enriched to a purity level close to 60%, near weapon-grade status.